Are you an astute observer?
Do you want to be more knowledgeable about your local government?
If you answered yes to either of these questions, your League has a great
opportunity for you to use your skills and grow your knowledge base. We have launched an
Observer Corps Program to connect you with your local government in a meaningful way.
As a member of the Observer Corps, you would attend and fill out a simple form recording
important decisions made at local governmental meetings. You and a cohort would select
one particular agency (such as the County Commission, the Port Authority, the School
Board, etc.) and one of you would observe and record the activities of that meeting. Then,
submit the form to another designated League member and you’re done until your next
scheduled meeting of that group.
Observer programs benefit you, the observer, as well as the organization you are
observing and our community by:
• Connecting you with your local government or agency
• Promoting open, transparent and accountable government
• Connecting local officials with their constituents and with the League
• Educating the public about issues impacting our community
• Identifying areas where action or improvement is needed
The League currently observes these and other agencies:
• Brevard County Commission
• Canaveral Port Authority
• Space Coast Transportation Planning Organization
• Brevard Public School Board
• Brevard Economic Development Commission
• Brevard Tourist Development Council
If you are actively engaged in consistently attending other organizations or agencies, (e.g.:
municipalities such as City of Cocoa, Melbourne Beach, North Brevard Economic Zone, etc.)
we would like you to be reporting through the Observer Corps.
Please consider joining this Observer Corps Program. Your League needs you to
be informed on behalf of your friends and neighbors. In addition, you learn about issues
and processes that make our local government work. It’s a great way to really begin or
strengthen your political involvement in a positive way. If you would like to volunteer,
please send a brief email indicating your interest to Gloria Parra at firstname.lastname@example.org. State
your name and, if you have a preference for monitoring a particular agency, please note
which one you prefer. Note that a training session is required in order to participate.