Indian River Lagoon Activities
The Indian River Lagoon (IRL) is the spine of our Space Coast community. Brevard County residents live, play, and work on the waterways that make up the IRL. Unfortunately the IRL is in trouble so our Natural Resource Committee efforts to support community education and coalitions activities to save the lagoon are significant. We have dedicated a director to focus on the education and protection of the IRL. The IRL director coordinates with the Natural Resource Committee director/chair and team as well as with organizations outside of the league to establish programs to educate, bring about policy change, and provide hands-on support to improve and protect the quality of the IRL and thus our community.
August 2017 Notes
- The IRL oxygen levels are being watched closely as recent precipitation and observed algae growth have created vulnerable conditions for a repeat of last year’s fish kill.
- The July meeting of the Save Our Lagoon Citizen Oversight Committee featured an expert panel on sea grassed considered to be key to the Lagoon’s restoration.The plan passed by referendum last Fall includes investment in living shorelines and seagrasses as the foundation of a healthy estuary ecological system.
- All Citizen Oversight Committee meetings are open to the public on the third Friday of the month 8:30 a.m.to 10:30 a.m. at Brevard Co. Govt. Center.They are also available by video at https://www.facebook.com/pg/BrevardCountyGovt/videos/.Educational presentations (one per monthly meeting) coming up include:
- Advanced septic and Septic upgrades
- Monitoring performance and Measuring Success
- Coordinating 10 years of dredging and spoil management
- IRL comprehensive conservation planning